We are looking to add a motivated and creative full-time writer to our staff with responsibility for alpine ski racing coverage. This salaried position involves writing premium features, breaking news, and race reports as well as creating branded content and taking on additional responsibilities over the full calendar year. The ideal candidate has a background in and passion for the sport, experience as a writer, and can contribute multimedia for feature pieces.
- Ability to contribute several articles (up to 2 features and 6 news stories at the height of the competition season) per week
- Strong interviewing and writing skills
- Fundamental understanding of alpine ski racing from junior-World Cup levels
- Work unconventional hours in the competition season (October-March)
- Travel to domestic and international events
- Working knowledge of AP style
- Owns a computer and reliable transportation
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field (English, journalism, communications, Liberal Arts, history, etc.)
- Past experience in or solid understanding of alpine ski racing
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office suite, photo/video editing software)
- Experience with or capable of learning WordPress
- Experience with or capable of learning how to operate a DSLR video camera
- Preference will be given to candidates with multimedia skills (photography, audio, video)
This opportunity is considered remote, but the ideal candidate will reside in or be willing to relocate to a regional hub of alpine ski racing in the U.S. (ex: Park City, Utah; Denver, Colo.; Burlington, Vt.). You must be able to meet tight deadlines, be reliable, and be a self-starter.
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, résumé, and portfolio (if applicable) to firstname.lastname@example.org at their earliest convenience.