Last week, Team USA named 18 Westminster College and U.S. Ski & Snowboard student-athletes who will compete for the United States in South Korea. All of campus will be watching and cheering them on as they pursue their athletic dreams.
The athletes will represent the United States in events like alpine, moguls, snowboardcross and nordic combined. Athletes train at the Center of Excellence in Park City, Utah, while studying 30 minutes away at Westminster College in Salt Lake City.
“I think the type of person that I am — and most athletes are — is a little type-A,” says junior finance student MeganMcJames. “We like to do our best at everything. When you’re pursuing your best in sports, those skills translate into school and vice versa. As an athlete, school has been a great outlet for me to take a break from thinking about skiing all the time and realize there is other stuff out there. It has given me skills that translate into making me who I am.”
Together, Westminster and U.S. Ski & Snowboard help national athletes achieve excellence in the classroom and on the slopes through an education partnership where more than 140 U.S. Ski & Snowboard athletes have attended Westminster College since the partnership began in 2005. The average GPA for all Westminster U.S. Ski & Snowboard students is 3.6. While they all compete in snow sports, they’re individually earning degrees in and exploring varied passions like art, entrepreneurship, physics and biology. They balance intense training schedules and rigorous coursework with inspiring determination.
2018 Team USA members from Westminster College
- Maddie Bowman (freestyle): junior, biology
- Bryce Bennett (alpine): first-year, undeclared
- Ryan Cochran-Siegle (alpine): sophomore, physics
- Alex Ferreira (freestyle): sophomore, finance
- Bryan Fletcher (Nordic): junior, health education
- Taylor Fletcher (Nordic): sophomore, marketing
- Jared Goldberg (alpine): sophomore, undeclared
- Faye Guilini (snowboard): junior, accounting
- Devin Logan (freeskiing): sophomore, communication
- Wiley Maple (alpine): sophomore, history and psychology
- Megan McJames (alpine): junior, finance
- Madison Olsen (freestyle): sophomore, business
- Abby Ringquist (ski jump): junior, art
- Morgan Schild (freestyle): first-year, undeclared
- Liz Stephen (cross-country): first-year, undeclared
- Brita Sigourney (freestyle): junior, business
- Darian Stevens (freestyle): first-year, business
- Jacqueline Wiles (alpine): first-year, undeclared
Release courtesy of Westminster College.