Emiko Torito and local favorite Holt Haga won the opening moguls events Sunday as the U.S. Freestyle Selections events got under way in a snowstorm at Park City Mountain Resort.
PARK CITY, Utah — Emiko Torito and local favorite Holt Haga won the opening moguls events Sunday as the U.S. Freestyle Selections events got under way in a snowstorm at Park City Mountain Resort.
The Selections contests will be used to help fill World Cup start spots for North American World Cup competitions next month.
Haga edged Sho Kashima by one-tenth of a point to win with 26.93 points. Kashima, in his first year with the U.S. Ski Team, had 26.83 and third place went to Bryon Wilson with 26.54.
Torito, in her seventh season on the U.S. Ski Team, received 26.32 points to top teammate Heather McPhie, who had 25.53 for her run down the Prospector bumps course. Completing the podium was Kayla Snyderman.
Wednesday brings a doubled-up schedule for Selections — the second moguls contest in the daytime at Park City Mountain Resort and aerials at night at Utah Olympic Park. It's dual moguls Thursday at the resort and the events conclude Friday with a second aerials event.
U.S. FREESTYLE SELECTIONS
Park City, Utah — Dec. 17, 2006
1. Holt Haga, Park City, Utah, 26.93 points
2. Sho Kashima, South Lake Tahoe, Calif., 26.83
3. Bryon Wilson, South Taylorsville, Utah, 26.54
4. Jay Bowman-Kirigin, Salt Lake City, 25.97
5. Jimmy Discoe, Ridgway, Colo., 25.95
1. Emiko Torito, Denver, 26.32
2. Heather McPhie, Bozeman, Mont., 25.53
3. Kayla Snyderman, Winchester, Mass., 24.34
4. Jennifer Simm, Canada, 24.01
5. Chloe Dufour-Lapointe, Canada, 23.73